I didn’t have a second post for this week until I went to my moms house and caught her making this! Thanks to my mom I am going to show you step by step how she made this adorable scarecrow using a bale of hay and some of my dads old clothing. =)
* My mom said the hay made her very itchy, so I recommend wearing pants, long sleeves, and gloves to make these.
What you will need:
- 1 bale of hay (every time I try to say hay bale it always comes out hale Bay… just in case you were wondering 😉 )
- 1 pair of old jeans
- 1 old button up flannel
- a stick or small board to support the scarecrow head
- hammer & nails
- Permanent markers
- straw hat
- bandanna or a men’s handkerchief
- someone to help ya ( It takes 2 people to put him together easily)
- piece of burlap for the head ( we didn’t measure.. it just needs to be big enough to wrap around the ball and tuck into the shirt. Burlap is very cheap to buy… I think it’s only around $2.50 a yard.)
- something round to use as the head.. we used one of my sons old bounce balls
1.) First, unbutton the flannel and start stuffing it with hay ( sorry, no photo.. this is where I caught her making it and ran for my camera! ha ) Once the shirt is all stuffed with hay tie some twine around the wrists but let a little hay stick out ( photo below).
2.) Once the flannel shirt has been stuffed, it’s time to start working on the head. For the head, my mom used an old bouncie ball of my sons. She wrapped it in hay to make it a little fuller and so the head would not look so round. Once she got the head the size she wanted she wrapped a piece of burlap around it. Then tied a knot at the bottom with a piece of twine.
3.) Take a scrap piece of board and stuff it down the back of the flannel, then attach the head by stuffing the board up threw the back of the head. We didn’t measure the board just eye balled it =P Here are some photo’s to show you what I mean:
… use your hands to try to shape the head some; tie a handkerchief around the neck
You will have something that looks like this..
4. Stuff the pants up to the knees with hay.
5.) This next part you are going to need some help with. Have one person hold the top of the pants while the other person lifts the body of the scarecrow on top the pants. Tuck the shirt into the pants.
6.) Finish stuffing the legs and tie some twine around them letting some of the hay stick out. ( You could also use the rope that us used to hold the hay bale together.)
7.) Take small bunches of hay and tie them together… this will be the scarecrows hair. Attach the hair by nailing it to the top of the board that is under the burlap.
8.) Nail on the straw hat…
9.) And the last thing left to do is to draw the face. Using permanent markers, she drew the mouth and eyes in black and the nose in red.