* This recipe was adapted from the recipe Hot Artichoke dip; found at the top of page 6 in the cook -book 100 best Appetizer Recipes. You can find this cookbook at 5 below, which is where I purchased the book.
A few weeks ago I was at the 5 below store when I came across a few cool cookbooks that I knew I wanted for my collection. While flipping through the books on the way home, I found a recipe for a hot artichoke dip. Now, I am no fan of artichokes; but this recipe had my recipe inventing wheels turning. My hubby is a HUGE fan of french dips, so I thought how yummy would it be to make a french dip.. dip?! So that’s exactly what I did, and here is how I did it:
1 packet Ajus
1- 8 oz container sour cream
1 cup mayo
1/2 of a 7-8 oz. container roast beef lunch meat ( Chopped. I used the carving board style.)
1/4 of a large onion finely sliced ( I used a mandolin slicer)
1/2 cup water
1/2 of an 8 oz. bag Mozzarella cheese
1/2 of an 8 oz. bag Swiss cheese
butter to fry onion in
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
– In a medium sized frying pan saute onions over medium heat with 1 tablespoon of butter.
– Once onions are caramelized add roast beef and stir.
– Next add 1/2 cup of water and entire packet of Ajus, stir and cook till it starts to boil. Once it starts to boil turn burner off and sit the mixture aside to cool (Do not leave the mixture on the hot burner you just turned off, sit it on a cool burner or on a pot holder on the counter.)
– In a separate, small, oven proof bowl (about 1 qt. in size) add sour cream, mayo, and cheese (save about 1 hand full of each type of cheese to top the dip with), mix well.
– When the onion beef mixture has cooled add it to the heat proof bowl with the mayo and sour cream mixture, mix well.
– Bake at 350 for 15 minutes then take it out and stir, bake an additional 10 minutes take out and stir.
– Add the rest of cheese to the top. bake for 5 minutes then turn on the broiler and broil the top of the cheese so it gets nice and brown.
– Serve with bread, crackers, or chips for dipping
Disclosure of Material Connection: I have not received any compensation for writing this post. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. This post does, however, contain ads that I will receive commission, if clicked. This post may also include affiliate links. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”