When I first saw the caramel stuffed snickerdoodles made by Julie of Hostess at Heart, I knew that someday I would snatch her up for a cookie Monday post. And today is that day! She is sharing her recipe for Nutella filled Hazelnut thumbprint cookies and they look amazing!
Head over to Julie’s page for more great recipes! – Hostess at Heart – CLICK HERE
Julie, take it away my friend…
I first met Emily through Prudy from Butter Basil and Bread. At that time, Prudy was doing the Cookie Monday series. I had the honor of contributing a guest post for Prudy. I should say Prudy’s last Cookie Monday post. She was handing over the reins and Emily has kept the series going in style, delivering one great cookie after another. I have really enjoyed keeping up with Emily, so when she asked if I would write a guest post for her, I was honored and very excited to do it.
So, I am bringing my recipe for Nutella Filled Hazelnut Thumbprint Cookies. This cookie is a deliciously quick and easy cookie recipe. The exterior is crunchy with a hazelnut roasted exterior, a soft cookie interior, and then topped with a creamy hazelnut flavored chocolate topping called Nutella.
Makes 22 cookies Prep 15 minutes plus 15 minutes baking time
2 cups all-purpose flour, (I used unbleached)
¼ cup dark brown sugar
½ cup white granulated sugar
2 tablespoons almond milk, (any milk, or cream will work)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs, separated
12 teaspoons unsalted butter, (1-1/2 sticks, softened)
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup hazelnuts, chopped, (I used dry-roasted, unsalted hazelnuts)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In the bowl of a standing, electric mixer, combine egg yolks, brown sugar, and white sugar. Beat until light and fluffy, approximately 2 minutes.
3. Add milk, vanilla extract, flour, and salt. Beat until combined.
4. Chop nuts and put them on a plate large enough to roll your cookies.
5. Beat egg whites with a fork in a small bowl until airy (2 minutes).
6. Scoop two tablespoons of dough and roll it into a ball. Coat the ball in egg whites and then roll in chopped hazelnuts. Gently press your thumb into the center of the cookie until indented. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
7. Bake for 14-16 minutes, or until lightly browned on the edges. If indentation has disappeared, press gently with the end or a wooden spoon while hot. Allow to cool completely.
8. Pipe or spoon Nutella topping into the indented center. Store in a covered container in a cool place or refrigerate.
Catch Hostess at Heart on Face Book! CLICK HERE