Once in a blue moon, when I decide to torture myself, by cutting carbs out of my diet for a week or two this salad is a life saver. It gives me all the flavors I enjoy in a big meaty hoagie without all the carbs. I know the cheese and salami are fattening but I somehow justify it to myself since I am not layering it all in a carb infested hoagie roll. Also, the fact that this Italian Salad is seasoned to perfection so there really is no need for a fatty dressing is another one of my justifications. Of course, if you feel the need for dressing, a little oil works well. If I were left at home alone with this salad I am confident it would not see the dawn of a new day. But don’t think you have to be on a diet to make this salad. My husband enjoys this salad just as mush as I do and he has never dieted a day in his life! Every time I make this salad I have to leave a fork on the counter. If I didn’t I would have a sink full of forks from me returning to the fridge every 20 minutes to steal a bite. This recipe is also a great way to use up some of those garden tomatoes. I do not care for tomatoes but my husband loves them so I add them anyway. I was raised in a home where if you didn’t like something you picked it out. =p
If you decide to make this Italian Salad I would love to hear back from ya!
- 1 head lettuce (rinse & Dry)
- salt ( To taste )
- pepper ( To taste)
- Garlic Powder ( To taste)
- 10 slices provolone cheese ( sliced in small pieces )
- 10 slices hard Salami ( sliced in small pieces )
- 1 large tomato ( chopped)
- 1/2 large red onion ( thinly sliced. I used a Madeline)
- oil (optional)
- Chop lettuce into bite size pieces and throw into a medium/large salad bowl. Add salt, pepper, & garlic powder to the lettuce and toss so the spices are evenly distributed. Throw in the remaining ingredients and toss.
* If you really feel like you need a salad dressing, a little oil works well.