Make ahead Breakfast Burritos
Make ahead Breakfast Burritos
Keeping some of these easy Make ahead Breakfast Burritos on hand will make your mornings extra enjoyable. I love knowing that I only have one mess to clean up from breakfast, for the ENTIRE week! And the mess is really not that bad. Usually, it consists of 1 electric skillet, a cutting board, a bowl, and of course, a few utensils. See, easy peasy, not even enough to fully load the dishwasher 😉 Paper plates also help to keep the mess minimal.
Now, I know I said these are Make ahead Breakfast Burritos, and they are, but my mom also had another great idea. She suggested that if I had overnight company I could make these up the night before, place them seam-side down in a greased cake pan, and bake them in the morning. I’m not sure what temperature these would have to cook at because I have never tried it. If you googled it I am sure you would find something on it. Gotta love google, right!?
* I saw many different methods of wrapping and freezing the burritos but I liked the one I used int this recipe the best. I can not find the website where I saw this, I might even have seen it on youtube. But I want all my readers to know that the recipe is my own but the freezer method is not. If I happen to come across it again I will be sure to link it. If you choose to make these burritos for yourself do some research on the different freezer methods, you may find something you like better. For example, I saw some people wrap them in foil. This would be a nice method if you chose not to use microwaves, you could probably take them straight out of the freezer and bake them in the oven with the foil still on. =)
- 1 10 pack , 8 inch Tortillas ( I used the Aldis fit & Active brand)
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 2 medium potatoes ( diced small )
- 1 dozen large eggs
- 1 handful ( about 10-12 leaves) Spinach ( chopped) ( plus some for garnish, optional)
- 1-2 handfuls ( about 1/2 cup) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-3 Tablespoons butter ( for Frying)
- 1-2 Tablespoons oil ( for frying, so your butter doesn't burn)
- Season all salt
- 10 sheets of wax paper
- 1 ( 1 gallon) Freezer bag
- Sour Cream & Salsa ( to serve with, optional)
- Fry bacon in a 350-degree electric skillet, crumble, and set aside. Drain all bacon grease leaving the brown bits stuck to the pan ( they add flavor). Add 1-2 tablespoons of butter and 1-2 tablespoons of oil to the hot skillet, add diced potatoes. Sprinkle potatoes generously with season all salt. Cook till potatoes are soft in the middle and brown and crispy on the outside. Once potatoes are cooked, put them on a paper plate or bowl and set aside. Next, in a medium size bowl, crack and whisk 1 dozen eggs. Whisk in chopped spinach. Add 1-2 Tablespoons of butter to the hot skillet and pour in the egg and spinach mixture. Once eggs are almost completely cooked, add cooked bacon, and potatoes. Then add 1-2 handfuls of cheese and stir until cheese is melted. Turn skillet off and allow mixture to cool slightly about 5 - 10 minutes. Split the mixture up between the 10 burritos, sometimes I have a little extra. To make it a little easier I split the mixture in half then I know I have to get 5 burritos out of each half. Lay a tortilla on a sheet of wax paper so that the corner will wrap around the burrito ( It may help to think of a diamond shape, have the corner point at your belly), add a scoop of the burrito mixture, start rolling, then tuck in the sides and continue rolling. Repeat with all 10 burritos. Place burritos in a freezer bag and store in the freezer. To re-heat, pull out one frozen burrito and wrap it in a damp paper towel, then heat it in the microwave for 1 minute - 1minute and 20 seconds flipping half way through cooking. Serve with sour cream and salsa.