* My inspiration for this recipe came from Trisha Yearwoods Sweet & Saltines recipe.
Ok, this recipe is quickly becoming a new family favorite! This stuff is so good.. seriously! Everyone that has tasted it so far has told me that it tastes just like caramel corn but with out the kernels. I am also in love with the fact that this recipe makes a HUGE batch; sure you could cut it in half but once you taste it you won’t want to! Trust me on this one 😉
Enough chit chat lets get to it!
Sweet and Salty Honey-Comb Crunch
4 sticks of butter
2 cups of brown sugar
4 Cups of pretzels ( I used the sticks and gave them a rough crush. I put them into a lg freezer bag and just gave it a couple of squeezes with my hands. You DO NOT want to crush them so much they turn to crumbs.)
1 – 12.5 oz box of honey – comb cereal
* A roaster is needed for this recipe.
– Pre heat oven to 200 degrees
– In a roaster add entire box of honey combs and 3 cups of roughly crushed pretzels
– In a medium sized pot or a dutch oven over medium heat add 4 sticks of butter and 2 cups of brown sugar. Use a wooden spoon to stir often. Once butter has melted completely cook for an additional 3-5 minutes stirring constantly.
– Carefully pour the caramel (the melted brown sugar and butter mixture) over the cereal and pretzels in the roaster. Use a wooden spoon to mix well. If there is a little excess caramel in the bottom of the roaster that doesn’t seem to want to absorb then just crush up a few more pretzels till the liquid is absorbed (no more than a cup).
– Place roaster in the oven @ 200 degrees and bake for 1 hour, take out and stir every 15 minutes.
– Let cool
– Store in a large container or in cute little baggies for gifts!
** I also want to note that I measured the pretzels BEFORE they were crushed. I used a liquid measuring cup for them because they fit better. I threw them in loosely; I did not try to jam them in, or squeeze in as many as I could.
** Disclosure of Material Connection: I have not received any compensation for writing this post. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. This post does, however, contain ads that I will receive commission, if clicked. This post may also include affiliate links. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”