Today’s recipe is a simple vanilla box (poke) cake . I jazzed it up by adding a crumb topping, and then adding yet another topping, that consists of apples, walnuts, coffee, brown sugar and cinnamon. This the perfect cake to make for those who do not like icing… my sister being one of those people. The second topping almost reminds me of the yummy, oey, goey, part in a sticky bun.. enough said, right?
Lets get to it, shall we??
Vanilla crumb poke cake with an Apple, walnut, coffee topping
1 box yellow cake mix & ingredients listed on the back of the box to make it (mine took 3 eggs, 1 C. water & 1/3 C oil)
1/2 stick butter ( softened)
1/2 C. + 2 Tbsp. Flour
3 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Apple, walnut, coffee topping –
1 Lg. baking apple like Granny Smith (peeled and cut into small chunks)
1 1/2 C. brewed coffee
1 1/2 C. brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 Tbsp. butter
Cake and Crumb topping-
Preheat oven to directions on Cake Box
– Mix cake according to package, pour into a greased 13 X 9 cake pan, set aside
– In a small bowl add all the ingredients for the crumb topping (listed above) and use a fork to smash and mix them till they turn into crumbs.
– Sprinkle crumb topping over cake batter.
– Bake according to package + 5 minutes, or until and inserted tooth pick comes out clean.
– Let cool
Apple, Walnut, Coffee topping- (While the cake is baking, prepare this topping)
– Wash, peel, core, and cut apple into small chunks
– In a Medium sized, deep, frying pan turn heat to medium high and allow it to get hot.
– Once pan is hot add 1 Tbsp. of butter and apples ( you may need an additional Tbsp. of butter around 5 minutes of cooking the apples) , use a wooden spoon to stir them around. Cook apples for about 10 minutes or until soft.
– Once the apples have softened, add another 1 Tbsp. of butter and the walnuts, toss them around with the apples. Cook just enough for the walnuts to get get slightly brown (about 1 minute).
– Add coffee, brown sugar and cinnamon at the same time; use a wooden spoon to stir. Allow the mixture to come to a slight boil and let it boil for about 5 minutes (remember it is just a slight boil). Once the mixture looks more like syrup. Turn the heat off and take the pan off the burner, set it aside (either on a back burner that was not used or safety to the back of the counter on a pot holder).
– Once the cake has cooled, gently poke evenly with a fork. (You don’t want to go crazy making the holes or your cake will come apart.)
– Pour the Apple, walnut, coffee topping evenly over the cake. ( sometimes you may need to get a spoon and gently move the apples and walnuts on the cake so they are evenly distributed.)
– Good warmed up and served with vanilla ice cream! =)
Disclosure of Material Connection: I have not received any compensation for writing this post. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. This post does, however, contain ads that I will receive comission for if clicked. This post may also include affiliate links. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”